This page is currently under development.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator) – Mrs Tracy Roberts
Please contact Mrs Roberts on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns or queries.
At St Louis Catholic Primary School, we believe that the best provision for any educational need is through quality first teaching. Whenever possible children will remain in class and supported by staff in lessons.
In some cases, children may be identified with challenges which are temporary, and these are managed through short term boosters or interventions directed by the class teacher.
Some children have more complex or long-term difficulties, which need careful monitoring and support through their school years. Following discussion with parents, these children will be placed on the SEND register and will have an Individual Provision Map (IPM) put in place. Class teachers work with the school SENDCo to produce the IPM and these are updated and shared with parents and carers three times a year.
We have a range of interventions which can be used to support the children in school, below is a selection of them. These are monitored by the SENDCo.
- Lexia - Lexia® Core5® Reading is an adaptive blended learning program that accelerates the development of literacy skills for students of all abilities, helping them make that critical shift from learning to read to reading to learn. It provides phonics instruction and gives students independent practice in basic reading skills.
- Language Link - an online package used to identify and support children with mild to moderate speech, language and communication needs. Interventions are carried out by school staff.
- Speech Link – part of the Language Link package, this is used to identify and support children with developmental speech sound difficulties. Interventions are carried out by school staff.
- Zones of Regulation – teaching strategies to manage self-regulation and therefore control behaviours.
- Little Wandle Phonics catch up boosters – supporting our school Phonics programme.
- OT resources pack – to support children with gross/ fine motor skills.
- Social stories/ Cartoon strip conversations – for children who struggle to understand social expectations and appropriate ways to react or manage a situation.